The Bible teaches us that we should model the behavior that we want to see in others. In 1 Corinthians 10:11, Paul says, “Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ.” And in Philippians 3:17, he says, “Join together in following my example, brothers and sisters, and just as you have us as a model, keep your eyes on those who live as we do.”
This principle is also known as the “law of the lid.” The law of the lid states that the level of performance of a group is limited by the performance of its leader. In other words, if you want to see high levels of performance from others, you need to model high levels of performance yourself.
So, how can you model the behavior that you want to see in others? Here are a few tips:
- Start by making a list of the qualities that you want to see in others. This could include things like excitement, generosity, kindness, and so on.
- Become a living example of those qualities yourself. Don’t just talk about the qualities that you want to see in others. Be the example.
- Go above and beyond. Don’t just do the bare minimum. Ratchet it up!
- Show and tell. Don’t just talk about the qualities that you want to see in others. Show them by your actions.
- Celebrate the successes of others. When you see others exhibiting the qualities that you want to see, celebrate their success. This will encourage them to continue to do the good work.
When you model the behavior that you want to see in others, you are setting a high standard. You are also showing others that it is possible to achieve those qualities. And when you celebrate the successes of others, you are creating a positive and encouraging environment where everyone can thrive.
- If you want to see others be more excited, be excited yourself.
- If you want to see others be more generous, be generous yourself.
- If you want to see others be more kind, be kind yourself.
When you model these qualities, you are setting a positive example for others to follow. And when you celebrate the successes of others, you are encouraging them to continue to do good work.
So, what are you waiting for? Start modeling and celebrating the qualities that you want to see in others today!
If you want to make a difference in the world, start by modeling and celebrating the behavior you want to see. It’s a simple thing to do, but it can make a big difference.